How to Prepare Nigerian Fish Pie is the concern of this article. If read carefully, you will at the end of it understand how to Prepare Nigerian Fish Pie.
The fish pie is a tasty snack in Nigeria. It is prepared by deep frying. It makes use of fish base for its filling. It has the shape of the regular meat pie or chicken pie.
Read Also: How to Prepare Nigerian Barbecue Fish
Nigerian fish pie can be eaten anywhere, at home, on a picnic or at a party. If you have a small event and you are wondering what you can use to serve your guest, think fish pie.
Recipe for Nigerian fish pie
Read Also: How to Prepare Shawarma in Nigeria
Here is a list of items you need to make your tasty fish pie:
For the dough or pastry
Vegetable oil (for frying)
Read Also: How to Prepare Nigerian Agidi
For the fish base filling:
Any fish of your choice
Read Also: How to Prepare Nigerian Chin Chin
How to Prepare Nigerian Fish Pie
Here are Procedure for making Nigerian fish pie:
- Wash and dress your fish. Steam it, adding onion, garlic powder, thyme curry, seasoning cubes and any other seasoning. Boil it till it is done. Alternately, you can use canned fish. You do not need to cook the canned one.
- When the fish has cooked, remove it from the water and remove the bones. Mash the boneless fish.
- Get your mixing bowl. Pour in your flour, salt and baking powder. Mix them together.
- Into another bowl, break in the egg and whisk it with melted margarine or butter.
- Pour the whisked egg into the bowl with flour. Add little water at intervals and mix them thoroughly until you obtain firm dough.
- Take out the dough and place it on your rolling board or a neat flat and smooth surface.
- Knead it and leave it for about 8 minutes before you begin rolling it out with a rolling pin. Roll it until the dough becomes flat and smooth.
- Cut out round shapes or circles on the flat dough. Remove the remaining parts that cannot form circles. You might need to knead them together and roll out again to obtain the needed shape from them.
- Scoop the mashed fish onto the circular shapes. Fold over one part of each piece to cover another. Use the tip of a fork to seal the edges of each covered pie.
- Heat up vegetable oil in a pan, enough oil for the pies to be buried in,
- Pick up each filled pie and gently drop them inside the oil. Fry till they are brown. Make sure you turn sides to allow for all round cooking.
- Remove the pies when they are golden brown and place in a sieve to drain excess oil.
Read Also: How to Prepare Pancake in Nigeria
Note this: Some folks use more than fish to fill their fish pie. Irish potato can be used along with the fish. Just boil the potato and mash it along with the fish.
Secondly, you can use yeast instead of baking powder. Just pour the yeast into a bowl of warm water and allow it to frost before mixing it.
Third, you can equally bake the fish pie instead of frying it.
Serve hot, with a glass of chilled drink.