How to Prepare Nigerian Agidi will be shown to you in this article. Read attentively to learn how to Prepare Nigerian Agidi. Happy reading!
Read Also: How to Prepare Nigerian African Salad
Agidi is a delicious carbohydrate meal or snack in Nigeria. It can be eaten anytime, anywhere. Agidi is made from corn starch. You can prepare it white or Jollof, whereby you add colorful seasoning.
To Make agidi, you need the following ingredients:
- Corn starch (preferably white corn starch, the type used in making ogi or akamu).
- Fresh tomatoes
- Scotch bonnet/Atarodo pepper
- Red bell pepper/ Tatashi
- Minced meat/ minced chicken/ mashed and deboned fish or soft marrow bones
- Vegetable oil
- Seasoning cubes or powder
Read Also: How to Prepare Shawarma in Nigeria
How to Prepare Nigerian Agidi:
- Before you prepare your agidi properly, you have to prepare the stew you will use.
- Wash your tomatoes, onions, and pepper and blend them smoothly.
- Pour out the mash into a fine sieve to drain out the excess moisture content.
- Heat a saucepan on low heat and pour in some vegetable oil. Let the oil heat up. When the oil is hot, add your tomato-pepper-onion paste and stir.
- Add your seasoning cubes or powder and salt to taste.
- Let the tomato cook or fry until the sour taste of the fresh tomato disappears.
- Add your minced meat or mashed fish or animal fat or bone marrow.
When the stew is ready, set it aside.
Read Also: How to Prepare Nigeria Akara
Now to the Agidi Proper:
- Dissolve your corn starch in a small quantity of cold water a clean bowl. The solution should not be watery at all. Ensure that there are no lumps of starch left undissolved.
- Boil some amount of clean water. The water has to be very hot and bubbling.
- Pour in the boiling water gently and keep stirring until you have a thick paste. If you mistakenly pour in too much water, set a frying pan of water on fire and pour in the remaining hot water. Put the bowl of pap inside the hot water on the fire and let it boil. Stir well until you obtain a smooth and thick paste.
- Add the tomato stew you have prepared already and stir it to mix properly.
- Conversely, you can use coconut milk to make or prepare agidi. This is how agidi is prepared in Akwa Ibom. Grate and milk coconut. Use the milk to dissolve the corn starch. Add your seasoning according to your taste. Cook the mixture over low heat and keep stirring to prevent lumps from forming. When the pap becomes thick, bring down the saucepan.
- Scoop out the pap into containers or broad leaves and allow it to cool and set. You can equally cook the dissolved corn starch over low heat until it sets and become thick. Use any method that you fancy.
- Scoop the stew pap into containers or wrap them up in broad leaves and leave to cool. When it cools down, you have your thick agidi.
Read Also: How to Prepare Pancake in Nigeria
Serve it with beans, moimoi, pepper soup or akara. You can just eat it like that. You can even eat it with other soups like vegetable soup.