How to Prepare Nigerian Nsala Soup will be carefully explicated in this article. Read it and learn how to cook your delicious Nsala Soup.
Read Also: How to Prepare Nigerian Oha Soup
Ofe nsala or nsala soup is a white soup. It is called white soup because one does not need palm oil to cook ofe nsala. The Annang folks of Akwa Ibom state know it as afia efere ebod or simply afia efere.
Ofe Nsala is actually a very delicious but expensive soup. It is also a peppery and spicy soup that is very useful in the cold raining season. The soup is best enjoyed with pounded yam or pounded cocoyam.
Recipe for Ofe Nsala or white soup
Read Also: How to Prepare Nigerian Ofe Owerri
The following are the ingredients for Ofe Nsala or Afia Efere:
- Goat meat or chicken or fresh catfish
- Dry fish
- White yam or cocoyam
- Uzazi or utazi leaf
- Fresh and dry Cameron pepper
- Periwinkle/ isam/mfi and any other seafood you may want to add
- Seasoning cubes or powder
Read Also: How to Prepare Nigerian Egusi Soup
Things to Note on the ingredients:
- The yam is to thicken the soup. In the absence of yam, you can use yam flour.
- You need to use as much pepper as possible. It needs a lot of pepper.
- Beef is not the best meat for white soup or ofe nsala.
- Uziza is the best vegetable for white soup because of its spicy taste.
Preparing the Ingredients:
- Wash and cut up the goat meat or chicken or fish. Season the pieces accordingly and steam it.
- Wash and cut your ponmo and stockfish. Wash and shred the dry fish also. When the meat is half done, add the stockfish and the ponmo. Add the shredded dry fish when the meat is almost done.
- Peel and boil the yam. When the pieces are soft, remove them and pound until you obtain a very smooth paste. You do not need much yam for thickening. Because white soup is mostly prepared with pounded yam as the accompanying swallow, you can cut out from the yam you pounded for the swallow.
- Wash and cut the vegetable. Two or three leaves are enough. Blend the pepper and the crayfish separately.
- Cut your periwinkle and wash them properly. Also, prepare the other seafood you want to use.
Read Also: How to Prepare Nigerian Edikang Ikong
How to Prepare Nigerian Nsala Soup
Here are the Procedures on How to Prepare Nigerian Nsala Soup:
- Check the meat pot to confirm that the water left will be enough for the quantity of soup you need. If it is not, add more water to your satisfaction and let it boil. If you are using fresh fish, remove the pieces before continuing the cooking process. Add the fish back when you are ready to bring down the pot.
- Add the crayfish and the pepper. Also, add some seasoning cubes and salt to taste. Let the pot simmer on medium heat for about 2 minutes.
- Add the yam paste in small lumps and let it simmer for about 2 minutes.
- Add the periwinkle. Cover your pot and allow the soup to simmer for about 2 minutes. Remember to not stir immediately after adding the periwinkle.
- Add the vegetable and stir. Let it simmer for about a minute or two with the pot covered.
- Put out the fire and your ofe nsala or white soup is ready. Serve it hot with pounded yam, or Fofo. Ofe nsala can also be enjoyed with other types of swallows.