18 Functions of NAFDAC in Nigeria are listed in this article. We hope you find it informative and helpful for your research.
Functions of NAFDAC
Functions of National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control
In accordance with the act that led to the establishment of the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC).
18 Functions of NAFDAC in Nigeria are listed below:
1. Controls and regulates the exportation, importation, advertisement, manufacture, distribution, sales, and consumption of drugs, food, cosmetics, medical devices, packaged water, chemicals, and detergents (which are regulated products).
2. Carries out necessary tests and makes sure that there is adequate compliance with the specified standard designed and approved by the agency for effective control of the quality of products that are regulated as well as their raw materials and their production process in factories.
3. Takes up appropriate research and investigation into the places where food and drugs are produced as well as raw materials for the products that are regulated; they equally create quality assurance systems that are assured which includes certification of the production sites and that of products that are regulated.
Read Also: Functions of News Agency of Nigeria (NAN)
4. Take up the thorough inspection of regulated products that are imported into the country and establish a relevant quality assurance system that includes certification of the site of production.
5. Ensure the compilation of standard specifications regulations as well as guidelines for the production, sales, exportation, importation, registration, and distribution of regulated products.
6. Take up the registration of drugs, foods, medical devices, cosmetics, bottled water, chemicals, and detergents.
7. Takes up the control of exportation and gives out quality certificates of products that are intended for exportation.
8. Maintain and establish laboratories that are relevant or other institutions in areas within the country that are strategic as many that may be for the optimum performance of its duties.
9. Give an adequate announcement on the safety of products after due analysis.
10. Take adequate steps to make sure that the usage of narcotic drugs as well as psychotropic substances is limited to just scientific and medical purposes.
11. Give authorization for the importation and exportation of narcotic drugs as well as psychotropic substances and other substances that are controlled.
12. Join hands with the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) in the quest to wipe off the abuse of the drug in the country.
13. Give counsel to the Government, private and public sector as well as other bodies that may be interested in regards to the quality, safety, and constitutional regulations on products that are regulated.
14. Give guidelines, proffer approvals, and strictly monitor how foods, drugs, cosmetics, medical devices, bottled water, detergents, and chemicals are advertised.
15. Bring together and publish important statistics that result from the performance of the duties of the agency or from any other sources.
16. Foster such national and international conferences which may be considered necessary.
17. Partner with relevant agencies and establishments within and outside Nigeria which shares similar functions.
18. Carry out any other tasks that are necessary or crucial to the fulfillment of its functions or that they may be called upon to do by the leadership of the country.