National Centre for Technology Management (NACETEM) and its functions are listed in this article. We hope you find it informative.
Read Also: Functions of Federal Judicial Service Commission
The center was birthed as a result of a recommendation of the second conference of Ministers that are responsible for the Application of Science and technology to the socioeconomic creation of Africa commonly referred to in the acronym as CASTAFRICA II, 1987.
The center was responsible for the harmonization and development of human resources that are needed for the promotion, propagation, and projection of the management of technology in Africa.
The National Centre for Technology Management was established in September 1992 however, they did not begin operation until January of 1993.
A director headed the center and it was headquartered within the campus of the prestigious Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU), in Ile-Ife, Osun State.
Read Also: Functions of Raw Materials Research and Development Council
They operated within the campus because they wanted to take advantage of the very many students who studied technology management at the university in order to reach their goals.
As a result of the reforms of the Nation Science, Technology and Innovation (STI) system in 2005 engineered by the Federal Government of Nigeria, the initial and foremost mandates that were given to the commission were simplified, re-organized, and restructured so as to cover the activities in the West
African sub-region and beyond the coming together of the former regional Programme for Technology Management (REPTEM) with NACETEM.
As a result of the merger, NACETEM was lifted up to the position of full recognized Agency which was then headed by a director and a Chief Executive Officer.
The office of the defunct REPTEM which was located in Lagos was thereafter turned to the South West Zonal office of NACETEM.
Read Also: Functions of National Agency for Science and Engineering Infrastructure
As the agency kept growing, they kept adding to the number of offices they have and presently, the agency has five other zonal offices and the offices have been in full operation in the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja (North Central), Kano (North West), Yola (North East), Bayelsa (South-South) and Enugu (North East).
NACETEM was furthermore injected as an agency in the Federal Ministry of Science and Technology and it has been given the full mission of developing and training middle to high-level manpower and also conducting research on policy in s that has to do with Science, Technology, and Innovation (STI) management for all levels of government as well as the private sectors.
It also provides the knowledge support and also makes up the software ingredients of the Science, Technology, and Innovation (STI) of Nigeria.
National Centre for Technology Management (NACETEM)
Read Also: Functions of Nigerian Shippers’ Council (NSC)
The primary responsibilities of the Agency include:
1. To become a center of training for the development of a very high level of manpower in the Science, Technology, and Innovation (STI) management to all levels of government including the private sectors.
2. To carry out research on policy, evaluate and give a review to provide a good and sound policy counsel for a powerful technology-driven, knowledge-based development.
3. To create and also conduct a post-graduate program or course in the management of STI in collaboration with appropriate and established institutions both at home and abroad.
4. To formulate, sustain, and make available relevant documents that have to do with the engagements of STIs as well as provide free passage to storage on research done by STIs to help out with activities that have to do with Commercial exploitation.
Read Also: Functions of Consumer Protection Council (CPC)
5. To help to government at different levels (Federal, State, and Local) in the country in the formation of STI policies and strategies to utilize such for development; and.
6. To join hands with other countries (especially African Countries) in the STI training. Research of policy and consultancy.