How to Cook Efo Riro Soup is the focus of this article. We hope you read and learn how to Prepare Nigerian Efo Riro.
Ingredients for Efo riro soup
Read Also: How to Prepare Nigerian Edikang Ikong
Efo Riro is a very delicious soup in Nigeria. It is very popular among folks of the Yoruba tribe where it has its origin. Efo simply means vegetable. Efo riro is called spinach in English. Efo riro is replete with many health benefits.
Recipes for efo riro soup in Nigeria
To prepare a rich and delicious pot of efo riro, the following ingredients or items are needed:
- A bundle of efo riro or spinach
- Fresh tomatoes
- Fresh pepper of assorted species, most especially tatashe and red bell pepper
- The meat of assorted type
- Smoked fish or dry fish
- Ponmo or shaki or kanda (cow skin)
- Palm oil
- Iru or locust beans
- Seasoning cubes
Read Also: How to Prepare Nigerian Ewedu Soup
How to Prepare Nigerian Efo Riro
Following is a step by step procedure on How to Prepare Nigerian Efo Riro:
- Pick the efo riro leaves with the fresh succulent stem. Use as many vegetables as possible because the soup is always thick and not watery.
- Wash the leaves thoroughly to remove all sand particles. Chop the vegetable into not too tiny shreds.
- Cut and wash your meat thoroughly. If you are using fresh fish, wash and clean it well. Season and steam your meat accordingly.
- Cook the meat till it is tender and has just a little water left.
- Wash the stockfish, cut them up, and add them to the steaming pot of meat. If you are using fresh fish, steam the stockfish first before you add the fresh fish.
- Wash and cut up the ponmo or cow skin into small pieces. When the meat is almost done cooking, add the diced ponmo.
- Wash your pepper and tomatoes. Blend all your tatashe and only about two-thirds of the red bell pepper. Dice the remaining red pepper. It will help improve the looks of the soup.
- Dice the tomatoes too or use a manual blender that will grind it roughly. The tomatoes should not be too smooth. Note however those tomatoes are optional.
- Dice the onions into tiny bits too.
- Bring down the pot of meat when everything has cooked and is tender.
- Place a bigger pot on the fire. If you do not have another pot, just turn out the meat and still use the same pot. When the pot is dry, pour some amount of palm oil inside.
- Let the oil heat for some time before you add the diced onion.
- Add the diced tomatoes and pepper. Let it fry for about 3 minutes and stir it once in a while so it does not get burnt.
- Add the steamed meat, ponmo, and stockfish, and stir the pot. If you used fresh fish, do not add it now so the pieces do not break.
- Add the iru, crayfish, seasoning cubes, and little salt and stir it. Let is simmer on low heat.
- Pour in the meat water. Let it cook for about 2 minutes so that everything blends and the taste really comes out.
- Pour in your efo riro and stir everything together. Let it simmer for about 3 minutes before you bring down the pot.
Read Also: How to Prepare Afang Soup in Nigeria
Serve your efo riro soup with eba or semo or amala.