Things to Know About Bayelsa State has the basic information about the State. With this, you will get to know the state better.
Read Also: Basic Things to Know About Abia State
Things to Know About Bayelsa State
Bayelsa State was created on 1 October 1996 by General Sani Abacha led the military government, from part of Rivers State, it is in the Southern part of Nigeria and the Niger Delta region, right between Delta State and Rivers State.
Bayelsa is one of the newest States in the Federation and has its capital seat in Yenagoa. The State is nicknamed Glory of all lands. People from Bayelsa State are known and called Bayelsans.
The main language spoken in Bayelsa is called Ijaw language. However, there are other dialects such as Kolukuma, Bomu, Mein, Epie-Atisa, Nembe, and Ogbia. The official of the state is the English language.
Bayelsa State has an estuarine and riverine setting. Most of the communities in the state are surrounded by water and some are inaccessible by road.
Bayelsa had a total population of 1,704,515 according to the 2006 census and ranked 35th in the country.
Read Also: Basic Things to Know About Adamawa State
The economy of Bayelsa State
The State is rich in natural resources. It has one of the largest natural gas and crude oil deposits in the country. The production of Petroleum is therefore very extensive in the State.
Bayelsans are mainly rural dwellers due to inadequate transportation, education, health care, and other amenities/infrastructure as a result of neglect by the government and petroleum prospecting companies this is one of the main problems the state is facing presently.
The local people of Bayelsa are mainly into commercial fishing. The Bayelsa State Government is otherwise the prime employer in the State.
Government of Bayelsa State
The present Governor of the State is Seriake Henry Dickson. He assumed office on February 14, 2012. He is deputized by Rear Admiral Gboribiogha John Jonah (rtd) both from The People’s Democratic Party (PDP).
Read Also: Basic Things You Should Know About Akwa Ibom State
Local Government Areas in Bayelsa State
Bayelsa has a total number of eight Local Government Areas, namely:
- Southern Ijaw
Read Also: Basic Things You Should Know About Anambra State
The Major Tertiary institutions in Bayelsa State include:
- Niger Delta University
- Isaac Jasper Boro College of Education
- College of Health Sciences
- School of Nursing
- Bayelsa State College of Arts and Science
- International Institute of Tourism
- Federal University Otuoke
Read Also: Basic Things to Know About Bauchi State
Prominent People in Bayelsa State include:
- Gabriel Okara – Novelist and Poet
- Ernest Ikoli – pioneer Nigerian Journalist and pre-independent freedom fighter
- Major Isaac Boro – Nigerian Civil War hero (Nigerian Army)
- Daniel Igali – Canada Olympia gold medalist and world wrestling champion
- HRM Alfred Diete-Spiff – former governor of Rivers State
- Edmund Daukoru – Past Nigerian Minister of State for Energy and was Secretary of the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries in 2006, HRM.
- Melford Okilo – Former Governor of Rivers State
- Diepreye Alamieyeseigha – Maiden Executive Governor of Bayelsa State
- Goodluck Jonathan – Former President of Nigeria
- Timipre Sylva – Former Governor of Bayelsa State
- Timaya – Music Artiste
- Timi Dakolo – Music Artiste
- Samson Siasia – Former Super Eagles Coach and Player
- Diezani Alison-Madueke – Onetime Minister of Solid Minerals, Transport, and Petroleum Resources
- Dan Etete – Former Minister Petroleum Resources
- Finidi George – Former Super Eagles player, etc.