10 Ways to Care for a Child with Special Needs are given herein. This will guide parents and childcare providers on how best to care for a child.
A child is a daughter or son. A person who is below the age of adulthood or a minor gloss person who is below the legal age of responsibility or accountability, generally. They are usually referred to as a boy, girl, kid, offspring, bairn, brat, lad, lass, son, or daughter.
It is necessary for every mother to devote some time to take care of their children or care for the child. In some situations where the mother can not be frequent at all times, the family can decide to employ the serves of a babysitter.
This is also essential to note that children are generally dependent especially on adults or on their mothers as this will create a sense of closeness between the mothers and the child.
How to Care for a Child
When taking care of a child, the following should be considered:
1. Identify the needs of the child for good food, clothing, rest, exercise to make adequate provision for each of them.
2. Keep the child’s room spotlessly clean. When this is done, it prevents bacteria and common diseases.
3. In the case of a baby, set aside a special place like a table or a cupboard for storing the baby’s materials such as sterilizing unit, so that these materials or items can be easily seen, taken, and replaced.
4. Feed the baby at intervals. Baby food should be prepared under strict hygienic conditions.
5. Wash the baby’s feeding bottle and put it away properly after each meal. This is not proper for any baby’s feeding bottle to be kept unwashed. In most cases, the mother can put the baby’s feeding bottle in hot or warm water and wash it properly if not daily but at least once in three days.
Read Also: Proper Ways to Raise a Child
6. Do not mix baby’s clothing with other things rather maintain a separate drawer or box for storing baby’s clothing. Wash baby’s wear as soon as it is dirty.
7. Keep necessary materials ready and within easy reach before bathing the baby. This is because of the nature of a child’s skin especially when frequently exposed, it is not proper for the child’s health.
8. Provide a storage space or container for the baby’s toys. It will surprise you that babies learn a lot from toys and love being around toys. Hence, no sharp object should be placed close to any toy even in the storage space.
9. Immunize children at recommended periods. There are many cases that when a child is not immunized, it causes abnormalities and this should be avoided.
10. Make the house safe for the child. For instance, keep all medicines away from children. Other potentially dangerous things such as matches, razor blades, knives, scissors, needles, and so on should be kept where it would be impossible for the child to reach them.
Read Also: Process of Child Adoption in Nigeria
Conclusively, the care given to a child affects his or her overall development. Research shows that when a child is not adequately cared for, they tend to suffer from emotional trauma which could lead to depression even at a tender age or stage of life.