How to Prepare Nigerian Salad is carefully explained herein. The Nigerian Salad is also known as “Nigerian mixed vegetable Salad” and it has a very rich recipe.
Read Also: Health Benefits of Tomatoes
Salad is a food made primarily with a mixture of different types of raw or cold ingredients, mostly vegetables, and served with a dressing such as mayonnaise.
In Nigeria, salad can be prepared with as many as five different types of vegetables and more and dressed in salad cream, mayonnaise, baked beans, etc.
The ingredients or items needed to prepare Nigerian salad are as follows:
- Green Peas
- Tomatoes (firm fruits)
- A can of sweet corn
- Irish Potatoes
- A can of Baked Beans
- Mayonnaise or salad cream
Other optional ingredients like:
- Cow liver
- White onions
- Boiled macaroni
- Canned red bean
- green bell pepper
Note: The addition of the above-mentioned ingredients depends on individual taste.
Procedure for Preparing Salad in Nigeria:
1. Wash all your fresh vegetables.
You can add little baking soda, vinegar, or lemon juice to the washing water to kill harmful microorganisms. Rinse them well.
2. Boil the eggs, potatoes, macaroni, green peas, and cow liver to taste.
You have to boil them separately. You should dice the green peas before boiling them if they are fresh.
3. Peel your potatoes and the eggs and dice them into small cubes.
4. Also slice the cabbage, lettuce, carrot, tomatoes, and cucumber into tiny pieces.
Remove the seeds in the cucumber as well as the greenback before slicing it. You need to rinse the cabbage again after slicing it to wash out dirt hidden between folds of leaves. You need to also remove the seeds from the tomatoes before dicing them.
Read Also: Helpful Foods for Sickle Cell Patients
5. Get a bowl large enough for the quantity of salad you want to make and pour the vegetables into it.
Also pour the diced potatoes, egg, liver, macaroni, and other optional items into the bowl. Mix them together.
6. Pour your baked beans or salad cream or mayonnaise on the items in the bowl.
Salad in Nigeria can be eaten with jollof rice or fried rice. It can also be eaten with bread as a sandwich. If you can’t finish your salad immediately, it is advisable you do not add mayonnaise or salad cream yet.