How to Prepare Yam Porridge is explained in this article. This will guide you to make a sumptuous yam porridge for your family.
Read Also: How to Prepare Fried Rice in Nigeria
Yam porridge, or pottage as some call it, is a meal made with yam. It is a nice carbohydrate meal. It is a yam meal that contains vegetables and thick soup. Yam porridge or pottage is called asaro in Yoruba and mbud edia in Akwa Ibom.
When we were much younger, we used to use the mushy soup from porridge yam to eat swallow like eba, after all, it is a very thick soup.
Read Also: How to Prepare Nigerian Bean Pie
Recipe for yam porridge (pottage)
- A tuber of yam or enough for the number of people you are cooking for
- Palm oil
- Dry fish or smoked fish
- Green tasteless vegetable like pumpkin (ugwu), spinach (efo riro)
- Seasoning cubes or powder
Note the following about the ingredients for porridge (pottage) yam.
- First, you can also use beef or any type of meat for your yam porridge (pottage). Some folks do add ponmo or kanda to their yam porridge dish.
- You need enough palm oil to make the entire yam pottage (porridge) yellow.
- Also, you can add a spicy leaf or vegetable to porridge (pottage) yam.
- Lastly, you can add seafood to your yam porridge.
What to do before you cook yam porridge
- Peel up the yam and cut it into sizable, not too small, not too large sizes. Wash them thoroughly to remove grains of sand.
- If you are using meat or fresh fish, wash the meat or fish, season it and steam it accordingly. If you are using seafood, prepare it accordingly.
- Blend or grind the pepper.
- Wash and cut the onion into tiny dices. If you so wish, you can equally blend the onions.
- Wash and chop your green vegetable.
Read Also: How to Prepare Nigerian Coleslaw
How to Prepare Nigerian Yam Porridge
Here are the Procedures on How to Prepare Nigerian Yam Porridge:
- Put a pot on the fire and add palm oil, enough to make your yam yellow. Let the oil heat up over low heat.
- Add little onion and fry till the aroma comes out.
- Pour in your half-done meat. Add the crayfish and the pepper. Also, add your salt and another seasoning to your taste.
- Cover the pot and let it boil. Make sure you have water enough for the quantity of yam you are preparing.
- Add the pieces of yam and stir. The water should cover the yam. Cover the pot and cook it until the yam is soft enough to be crushed.
Read Also: How to Prepare Nigerian Fish Pie
Conversely, you can use another method to cook porridge yam. Just start by cooking the fresh yam pieces in water.
Add little salt from the start. Also, add little palm oil to keep the pot from foaming too much. When the yam is boiling, add the pepper and crayfish. Add more salt to taste as well as seasoning.
Use a spatula or wooden spoon to turn the yam. Let the spatula or wooden spoon mash some yam pieces until the excess water in the pot becomes marshy and thick.
Finally, add the remaining onion dice. Add your vegetable and let it cook for about a minute.
Bring down the pot. Your porridge yam is ready.
Serve as desired.