9 Functions of National Bureau of Statistics are listed and explained in this article and also outline its strides towards its mandate realization.
Read Also: Functions of the Nigeria Customs Service
The National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) is the main National Agency that is responsible for the development and management of official statistics, the basic source and custodian of official statistics in Nigeria.
Functions of the National Bureau of Statistics
Being an agency saddled with the responsibility of overseeing the statistical data in Nigeria and in a bid to actualize its mandate, the National Bureau of statistics performs the following functions.
1. Outlining laws and regulations on statistical work
It is a major responsibility of the National Bureau of Statistics to issue out information on laws, rules, and regulations to be followed and strictly adhered to in statistical works as a matter of National interest.
Being that statistical data remains a very invaluable tool in Nation-building, a proper organization of such has been a major function of the National Bureau of statistics.
2. Outlining of National statistical standards while reviewing and approving statistical standards by other government departments
This is done to ensure uniformity in operations across statistical units and agencies.
3. Data control and dissemination
The National Bureau of statistics performs the task of complete verification, approval, administration, and publishing of major national statistical data and regularly circulates the same to the general public as it pertains to the national economic and social development.
4. It also controls the national statistical information system and the national statistical database system
These are done to make sure that statistical data are always kept intact and easily available when needed. This has greatly helped in good policymaking.
5. The National Bureau of statistics also helps to supervise and fully inspect the enforcement of statistical laws and regulations
This is done to ensure compliance with the already established laws on statistics.
6. Assists the federal government in good policymaking
The National Bureau of statistics continuously generates socio-economic statistics on all areas of development in Nigeria.
This information helps the government to know the areas which need special attention and vice versa. Statistical data of this nature helps the government in good policymaking just to favor all the sectors of the economy.
7. The National Bureau of statistics also helps to coordinate and supervise statistics qualification examinations for the award of professional titles for statisticians across the country.
8. The National Bureau of statistics also functions to organize and control the effective administration of national statistical survey projects.
This is simply because, in line with its mandate, all statistical data must be standardized.
9. General support to other statistics affiliated agencies
The National Bureau of statistics gives support to other sub-agencies involved in the management of statistics in Nigeria. This is because the National Bureau of statistics serves as the mother agency for statistics in Nigeria.
In all, it can be seen that the National Bureau of statistics has played a great role in ensuring that statistical data are used meaningfully towards the sustainable growth and development of Nigeria.
Since its inception, the Agency has lived up to the expectations.