Functions of Nigerian Building and Road Research Institute (NBRRI) are listed in this article and we hope you find it informative.
Functions of Nigerian Building and Road Research Institute
Read Also: Functions of Nigeria Hydrological Services Agency (NIHSA)
One of the departments under the umbrella of the Federal Ministry of Science and Technology is the Nigerian Building and Road Research Institute (NBRRI).
The institute came into existence on the 1st of April 1978 through the Federal Government as a function of the then National Science and Technology Development Agency Bill (Although it has now become an Act) of 1977 Research Institute (Establishment) order of 1977.
The institute was established to carry out coordinated research and development activities into the many aspects of the industries in charge of building and constructing roads.
In 1993, the mandate of the institute was further expanded and it now included Research and Development into all possible aspects of materials of Engineering which are used in relation to the construction industry.
Over the past few years, a lot of significant achievements have been properly recorded and the recorded achievements have majorly been in the areas of the development of new innovations, upgrade of some existing innovations of the Nigerian Building and Road Research Institute, evolving and going on new Research and Development projects, embarking on aggressive and rugged extension and outreach programs, activities of administration, etc.
Read Also: Functions of Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC)
The primary vision of the Institute is to create a well-coordinated Research and Development, capacity building, and enlarged extension services through which technological innovations and knowledge-based activities and practices in the field of Building, Road, and Engineering materials will be deployed to make available quality and less expensive road infrastructure and housing as well as increased economic empowerment.
In the bid to achieve the stated vision, the Institute evolves and makes use of a well-detailed and coordinated approach to the right technological development and transfers a reliable capacity building and promotion of investment so that they can ensure the rapid application of energy-efficient and environment-friendly innovative construction materials, manufacturing technologies and building and road construction which are cost-effective that will, in turn, create jobs, wealth and drastically reduce poverty level in the country as well as brood the birth of vibrant, knowledge-based and highly competitive domestic construction companies which are capable of meeting the general standards globally.
The statutory function of the Nigerian Building and Road Research Institute (NBRRI) is to conduct coordinated applied Research and development in the many sections of the building and construction sectors of the economy.
Its functions were later expanded in 1993 to include Research and Development into all aspects of Engineering Materials used in the construction industry.
Read Also: Functions of Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency
Functions of the Nigerian Building and Road Research Institute
According to the Act that formed the NBRRI, the Institute is expected to carry out research on:
1. Tropical building and construction materials so that they can determine which one is the most economic and effective method of utilization.
2. Architectural building designs that perfectly suit the climatic changes in Nigeria with respect to ventilation, humidity, thermal comfort, and lighting.
3. Construction of local foundation and earth-works which will enhance buildings and bridges, especially on soils that are not really building supportive.
4. Designing and performing functional units in a building which includes the installation of electrical cables and fittings, painting, plumbing, ventilation, air-conditioning system, and drainage.
5. Local construction and building methods ad operations in order to rapidly increase their effectiveness.
6. The construction and design of roads that best suits the Nigerian environment.
7. The social and economic aspects of the building and industry of construction.
8. Safety of road which is inclusive of the occurrence of accidents and steps to reduce the number of accidents on the roads.
Read Also: Functions of Federal Character Commission (FCC)
9. The social and economic aspects of transportation and road schemes, accidents, and measures of safety.
10. Structural designs of bridges and buildings as well as the development of the criteria for designs, specifications, and codes of practice; amongst others.