Nigerian Institute for Oceanography Marine Research (NIOMR) and its functions are explained and listed in this article. You will find this informative.
Functions of Nigerian Institute for Oceanography Marine Research
Read Also: Cocoa Research Institute of Nigeria (CRIN) and its Functions
Nigerian Institute for Oceanography and Marine Research, (NIOMR) is a multidisciplinary marine research institute and Nigeria’s foremost institute for Marine Sciences.
The Nigerian Institute for Oceanography and Marine Research (NIOMR) was established in the month of November 1975 by the Research Institutes’ Establishment Order 1975.
The headquarters of the Institute is situated on Victoria Island, Lagos. There are also other outstations at Buguma (River State), Aluu (Rivers State), Sapele (Edo State), and Badore (Lagos). The vision of NIOMR is to become a world-class center of excellence in marine science.
The mission statement of NIOMR reads Aspiration as a National Fisheries and Oceanography center of excellence using dedicated, world-class scientists, to collect, analyze and provide scientific data and information for the development of scientific products needed for sustainable exploitation of Nigeria’s Marine resources and utilization, coastal and ocean environment for the benefit of our national community at large.
Read Also: National Horticultural Research Institute (NIHORT) and its Functions
The institute also has as its goal to key into the national development goals of food security, poverty reduction, marine environment cleanliness, and sustainability.
Research Departments in the Institute in NIOMR
- Biological Oceanography
- Fisheries Resources
- Fish Technology & product development
- Marine Geology/Geophysics
- Physical/Chemical Oceanography
Functions of the Nigerian Institute of Oceanographic and Marine Research
Read Also: National Agricultural Extension and Research Liaison Services (NAERLS) and Functions
The Functions of NIOMR are as follows:
- NIOMR is saddled with the responsibility of conducting research into the resources and physical characteristics of the Nigerian territorial waters and the high seas beyond.
- To make research on the abundance, distribution, biological and other characteristics of species of fish and other marine forms of life and management measures for their rational exploitation and conservation.
- To find ways of improving brackish/marine waters aquaculture.
- NIOMR is also responsible for the genetic characterization of marine and brackish water culturable fish species including the development of improved strains of fish species culture.
- To coordinate the effective and sustainable management of fisheries resources through improved post-harvest preservation, utilization, and storage using profitable technological processes
- To undertake studies on the physical characteristics of the Nigerian territorial waters, the high seas beyond, the topography of the sea beds and deposits on / or under the sea beds
- To research and find ways to curb the effect of pollution on the health of Nigerian coastal waters.
- To look into the socio-economic challenges of exploitation of the resources of the sea and brackish water and proffer solution.
- To find ways of mitigating the effects of global climate change and the rise in sea level.
- To work for the improvement of coastal and brackish water fishing and fish culture through the design and fabrication of eco-friendly fishing gear types and fisheries implementation.
- To carry out studies on the nature of the coastal and marine environment including coastal erosion, while monitoring marine hazards, and forecasting and predicting the topography of the sea beds and deposits on or under it.
- To provide extension research and liaison services.
- To provide technical training in areas of the mandate.