How to Design a House Like an Architect is given herein. Reading and studying the steps will give you the necessary idea of how to draw a building plan.
Before a building is constructed, a plan of it is drawn by an architect or a draughtsman. The builder has to know these symbols and interpret them and their location in the building property.
The reading of the building plan and the interpretation of the components and accessory symbols is known as blueprint reading.
To be able to do this means that the building will be constructed and drawn according to some specifications which will be the focus of this article.
Read Also: Division of Labour and Values
When you talk about drawing a building plan, a good building plan must be made up of the following:
- Site plan
- Floor plan
- Front elevation
- Side elevation which should be either right or left and
- Roof plan.
A site plan shows the area, shape, and dimension of the portion of the land on which the building will be erected. For a site plan, both the survey plan and the site plan are necessary.
Read Also: How to Write a Business Proposal
The foundation is drawn to show the type of foundation on which the building will be erected. Basically, there are two types of building foundations.
These are the shallow foundations and deep foundations. Most domestic buildings are constructed on shallow foundations while the large and heavy building is constructed on a deep foundation. Examples of shallow foundations include raft foundations, strip foundations, and raised foundations.
The floor plan shows the shape of the building and the location of doors, windows, rooms, balconies, toilets, and their dimensions.
Read Also: How to Write a Resume
The front elevation or front view is the side from which the building is entered. It shows all the parts of the building seen while entering the house.
The Side Elevation
The side elevation of view shows what is seen looking at one of the two ends of a building. The left end of what is on the floor plan is called the side elevation of view.
A roof plan is a type of roof that is seen when looking at the top of the roof.
Drawing a building plan or floor drawn to scale is an important part of the design process. The following steps can be followed:
- Measure the length of the longest wall. If you are making a floor plan of an actual physical space as opposed to something you are designing or imagining, then measure it with a tape measure.
- Scale this measurement down so that it will fit onto a sheet of graph paper. First, count the number of squares on the longest side of the graph paper. This is the side that will accommodate the longest parts of the plan. Then, scale down the length of the wall by reducing it to a smaller number.
- Measure the length of the other walls and convert these measurements to your scale.
- Measure the length of each door and window opening without frames and convert these measurements to your scale.
- Measure the lengths and widths of all built-in fixtures, convert the scale, and add them to your plan.
Read Also: How to Write a Book Review
Measure the length and width of each piece of furniture for each room and convert the scale.
In conclusion, the plan shows the size and shape of the house as well as the location of its components and accessories.