List of River Basins in Nigeria is given in this article. We hope you find it informative and able to serve the need of your research.
Read Also: Functions of Nigerian Press Council (NPC)
The River Basin Development Authorities in Nigeria are governmental agencies that are involved in how eater resources are managed for agriculture as well as other purposes.
Each of the authorities works within a geomorphological and political boundary that is assigned to it and it works to improve rural and agricultural development by the control of river pollution, and irrigation and also to help farmers in food crop processing.
The operation of river basin authorities has greatly been influenced by the economic and political changes in the country, leaving a big vacuum and inconsistency in the agency such that ten years after the establishment of the agencies, their effect has been so minimal.
River Basin Authorities in Nigeria
Listed below are some river basin authorities in Nigeria:
1. Chad Basin Development Authority: these are the areas that surround the basin of Lake Chad.
Read Also: Functions of Industrial Training Fund (ITF)
2. Upper Benue River Basin Development Authority: these are the areas that are drained by the river Benue and contributing rivers from the international boundaries to Paid and Donga River.
3. Lower Benue River Basin Development Authority: these areas are those within the region of the Niger River and Benue River.
4. Cross River Basin Development Authority: These catchment areas are those places that are drained by the Cross River and its contributing Rivers.
5. Anambra -Imo River Basin Development Authority – The East of the Niger River in the areas that are drained by the Anambra and Imo Rivers.
6. Niger River Basin Development Authority: These are areas drained by the River Niger and start in the North from the river’s convergence with the Malendo River and down to the River Niger’s Confluence with River Ubo.
7. Ogun – Osun River Basin Development Authority
8. Sokoto -Rima River Basin Development Authority
9. Upper River Niger – Niger, Kaduna, and the Federal Capital Territory
10. Benin – Owena River Basin Development Authority
11. Hadejia – Jama’re River Basin Development Authority
12. Niger Delta Basin Development Authority.