How to Prepare Nigerian Draw Soup is the focus of this article. We are glad to guide you on this unique cooking skill. Happy reading!
In Nigeria, draw soup represents any soup that has a slimy texture. Draw soup can be prepared in a variety of ways. You can use okra or ogbono or ewedu to make draw soup.
Read Also: How to Prepare Nigerian Ewedu Soup
In this post, we will be discussing the type of draw soup made with ogbono. Ogbono is the seed obtained from African green mango.
Read Also: How to Prepare Nigerian Egusi Soup
Recipe for draw soup
Following is a list of items needed to cook ogbono draw soup:
- Ogbono seeds
- Palm oil
- Beef or fresh fish
- Ponmo/kanda/cow skin
- Dry fish
- Fresh pepper as well as ground Cameron pepper
- Seasoning cubes or powder
- Vegetable: you can use pumpkin leaf or uzazi
Read Also: How to Prepare Nigeria Atama Soup
How to Prepare Nigerian Draw Soup
Here are Procedures on How to Prepare Nigerian Draw Soup:
- Have your ogbono ground in a dry mill. Also, grind your crayfish and your pepper separately.
- Wash and season your meat or fish accordingly. Steam your meat or fish.
- If you are using stockfish also, wash and cut it up. When the meat is half done, add the stockfish. Wash and add the dry fish when the meat is almost done so that the flavor can come out.
- Wash and cup up the ponmo or cow skin also. Add it to the meat when it is half done, depending on whether the ponmo is soft already.
- Wash and chop the vegetable you are using.
- Boil some clean water and keep it aside. You will need it later.
- Set a dry pot on low heat and pour in your palm oil. Do not let the oil bleach.
- Turn off the fire and add the ogbono powder. Use your spatula or ladle to dissolve and blend the ogbono with the oil.
- Turn back on the fire and pour in the water from the meat and mix them well. Keep stirring until the ogbono solution begins to draw and thicken. Do this on low heat.
- Do not stop stirring until the meat water and the ogbono completely blend together.
- Start adding little water and stir to obtain a good consistency.
- Cover the pot and let it simmer on low heat for about 10 minutes. Stir the pot every two minutes to prevent the content from burning.
- Let the ogbono cook for about 20 minutes or till you start perceiving the aroma and flavor.
- If the ogbono becomes too thick because of the cooking, add a little more water. Stir it well till it everything blends well.
- Add the steamed meat, fish, stockfish, dry fish crayfish, and pepper. Also, add your seasoning cube and salt to taste.
- Cover the pot and let it simmer for about 3 minutes. If you are not using any vegetables, bring down the pot at this stage.
- Pour in your chopped vegetable and stir the content of the pot well. Cover and leave it for about a minute.
- Bring down the pot and serve.
- Draw soup can be served with any type of swallow.
- Alternately, you can use okra to cook draw soup. Just dice the okra into tiny pieces and fry it just like the ogbono. You do not need to cook okro for too long and you do not need to cover the pot as it makes the okro lose its slimy texture.