How to prepare Nigeria Zobo drink will be adequately explained in this article. Read and learn how to prepare Nigeria Zobo drink.
Zobo drink has gradually become a very popular drink in Nigeria. Zobo can be served at parties or can be taken at home. It is actually very nutritious. Its deep red colour is equally appetizing. Zobo drink is taken for both its nutritional and its medicinal benefits.
Read Also: How to Start Drinks Business in Nigeria
The Health Benefits of Zobo Drink
The Health Benefits of Zobo Drink include the following:
- Lowering cholesterol level. Hibiscus plants of which zobo is a member contain hypoglycemic and hypolipidemic properties which help in fighting blood sugar disorders such as diabetes.
- Zobo has anti-cancer properties such as protocatechiuc acid. This acid prevents cancer tumor from forming.
- Zobo drink can help manage blood pressure with its antihypertensive properties. This makes zobo advisable to patients with hypertension and other cardiovascular diseases.
- Zobo drink also contains an antidepressant agent. This is found in the flavonoids which have the capacity to bring down depression and anxiety in humans by initiating calm sensation in the human body or mind.
- The vitamin C in zobo drink is known to boost the human immune system. It can also cool down the body and take care of the discomfort of feverish conditions.
Read Also: Health Benefits of Tomatoes
Recipe for Nigerian zobo drink
The following are the items you need to make a good zobo drink.
- dry zobo leaves
- You may wish to add other tasty garnishing or artificial flavours according to your taste. Feel free to do that. These may include lemon or lime.
Read Also: How to Prepare Nigerian Okpa
How to Prepare Nigeria Zobo Drink
Here are the Procedures on How to Prepare Nigeria Zobo Drink:
- Measure the number of zobo leaves you want.
- Use cold water to wash the zobo leaves. This is to remove sand and dust. Do not worry about the flavor or color being washed off with the rinsing. The flavor is still intact.
- Wash and peel your ripe pineapple tuber. Cut the pineapple into small slices. You do not need to peel deeply. Some people add the back of the pineapple but it is not ideal for the fact that some dirt may be stocked in the pores of the pineapple back.
- Peel the ginger and the garlic. Cut them into small dices. If you cannot stand the smell of garlic, by all means, exclude it from your recipe.
- Pour your washed zobo leaves into a pot. Add the other items to the recipe. Add water to the pot. The water should cover the content of the pot adequately.
- Set the pot on fire and cook on medium heat. Let it boil before you set it on high heat. Let it boil for a total of about 30 minutes.
- When the water changes colour to the deep red colour of the zobo flour, bring down the pot.
- You can filter out the leaves while the zobo is still hot. You can equally let it cool before filtering it.
- Make sure the drink is well filtered possibly with a chiffon or muslin cloth.
- Pour the zobo drink into bottles and refrigerate.
Read Also: How to Prepare Nigerian Coleslaw
Serve your zobo chill.